Friday, July 16, 2010

Waffle Maker

So my husband absolutely loves waffles. I however am a pancake girl myself. I had actually been planning on buying him a waffle maker for father's day but he ended up getting a bicycle instead. And of course we go yard saleing almost every weekend and I've looked there for one too. I had originally looked at Walmart and the cheapest one was close to $30 I think. It could have been closer to 20 but I dont really remember. Anyways, last week I got the chance to run real quick into a thrift store and there was a waffle maker for $4.00. I was so excited to get it for him! It was just the cheapest one you could get at Walmart and makes two waffles at a time. This morning was the first chance I've had to use it and now for the experience. IT WAS AWFUL! First the directions even said that it takes 5-7 minutes. Thats for TWO waffles. So we have two adults and a one year old going to be eating. So the end result was the waffle maker didn't cook evenly. Instead of getting the nice crunch that waffles have they were completely brown in the middle and soft on the outside. It took me almost an hour to finish the one bowl of mix I had made up. And in case you cant tell by the cooking process they weren't even good. They were actually almost cold by the time the last two finished cooking. So then I was grumpy because I had wanted to make these for Brad and then I informed him I would never be making them again. So now Im thinking ahead to Christmas. Im going to have to research them and get a good one. It may cost more but if it works it will get used. And it absolutely must cook at least 4 waffles at a time or it will never be worth it.

3 comments:

  1. I think something must have been wrong with that one. Our favorite thing to do is make sandwiches on them. They are soooo good. We usually put ham, cheese and mayo on them and of course butter. YUM! They are a pain to clean, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have one, but it makes Belgium waffles, so it only does one at a time. And it takes me two or three pancakes to get it right. Lee makes the best waffles. And yes, because it only makes on at a time (cooking each one 2 min and 15 sec) it takes a little while to prepare, but we have figured out how to keep them warm so if you start early enough it doesn't matter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brad likes sandwiches like that too but we have a sandwich maker thing for that. Jordan- I can usually keep things warm just by keeping a towel over them but it literally took me almost an hour to make those waffles. So I will definitely just be looking for something bigger and better!

    ReplyDelete