Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Homeschooling

I know that my first baby being in school is still a few years off but I wanted to write this down while it is still fresh on my mind. Brad told me before we got married that he felt God wanted us to homeschool. Now I have come along way since then so to say I threw a fit would be putting it mildly.

So to explain that part I have always wanted to be a teacher. I love being in the classroom. I had started college and everything was going great. Except for the fact that I had been forced to move out just 2 months after I graduated and because of somebody else's mistake my rent went from being about 100 a month to 300 or more. At the time I only worked part time. So I tried doing what I could. I switched to night classes the next semester and took a job in a different apartment. So I started going to work from 6-230 every day and going to school at night. But I wasn't making ends meet. I ended up getting a second job on the weekends. We had a one year lease on our house and I find out right before its up that the person I was living with was deciding to make other plans. Didn't even bother to tell me. So for a month or two I was pretty much homeless and bounced from place to place. During this time I ended up just having to drop all of my classes and would go back as soon as I could.

Well then life pretty much happened. I fianlly got an apartment and I was working all the time just to try and make due. At this point I ended up switching over to one of my part time jobs as my full time one. I still worked another part time job as well for awhile. Then I met Brad and after 3 weeks of dating we were having this conversation. So I was almost heartbroken to hear this. I wanted a degree. I wanted to go be a teacher not sit at home. And I DEFINITELY did not want to be a stay at home mom.
Now 4 years later I have been at home for the past 2 years and have 2 babies. I still struggle with being a stay at home if Im honest about it. There are so many days that I don't even feel qualified to do it. I honestly think its harder than going to work every day. But we are all built different and I have always loved having a job. And then you put homeschooling on top of that. I have people comment to me about how I can go back to work after my babies start school. They of course don't know our plans to homeschool.
I watch the news though and I'm thankful that my kids won't be going to school. I'm thankful to have a husband who wants to follow God. I'm thankful for the oppurtunity to get to watch every leap and step that my babies make. I'm thankful that though we have to live a tight budget lifestyle, God provides just what we need that I can continue to be a stay at home mom. I may have sounded like I was complaining too much earlier but I am so THANKFUL. I can't stress that enough.

So the whole point of this background was to tell this one little thing about homeschooling....haha. Sunday we were eating lunch with some friends and either they or one of their teenagers asked if we knew what we wanted to do about school yet and we told them we were going to homeschool. One of their teenagers who goes to public school looks over and says "they'll thank you for that." I wish I had thought more of it at the time to talk to him and get his thoughts. But what a blessing to hear someone say that! Or I think so anyways.

1 comment:

  1. I've had similar conversations many times. I'll never say it's easy, because it's not, but I always so if God calls you to it, He equips you for it. God placing the calling on your life is the only qualification you need. He'll provide the rest!

    <3 ya!

    ReplyDelete