Friday, March 19, 2010

Cheeseburger Soup w Dumplings

1/2 lb ground beef
3/4 cup chopped onion
3/4 cup shredded carrots
3/4 cup diced celery
1 tsp basil
1 tsp parsley flakes
4 tbsp butter, divided
3 c chicken broth
4 cupes diced potatoes
1/4 c all-purpose flour
2 cups process cheese (Velveeta) 8 oz
1-1/2 cups milk
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 c sour cream

I got this recipe out of one of my many cookbooks so to give credit where credit is due I wrote the recipe down word for word. However, with that being said I will now tell you that I omitted celery because I dont like it. I also used sliced carrots and next time I will be adding more carrots than I did. The cheese I just diced up and put in the pot until I thought I had the right amount. One block of veleveeta is like 30 something ounces so you can guess you dont need very much of it. Also when I made this I didn't have any potatoes and thats where the dumplings came in. I do recommend that if you do make the dumplings only make however many you will eat that night. They kind of took away from the soup once reheated and crumbled up into the soup and makes a weird texture. Still good but for those that different textures bother them to eat that might be one of them. For the dumplings you need one cup of baking mixAnd about 1/3 cup of milk. You add milk to the mix until you get a pretty sticky dough. Once you have cooked the soup drop the dough down into the soup and cover for about 12 minutes. Until toothpick inserted into dumplings comes out clean. These are extremely yummy after being cooked in this cheese soup.

DIRECTIONS - In a 3 qt saucepan, cook beef until no longer pink. drain and set aside. In the same saucepan saute onion, carrots, celery, basil and parsley in 1 tbsp butter until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Add broth, potatotes and beef, bring to a boil. Reduce the heat; cover and simmer 10-12 minutes or til potatoes are tender. Meanwhile, in a small skillet, melt remaining butter. Add flour; cook and stir 3-5 minutes or until bubbly. Add to soup; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Add cheese, milk, salt and pepper; cook and stir until cheese melts. Remove from heat and blend in sour cream.

1 comment: